Monday, November 16, 2009

Finca Fantasy



Recently, Chip and I were invited to a finca, a Spanish farm that is roughly the equivalent of a horse farm. In truth, we weren't fully invited, but there was promise of a future invitation, as in, some day you'll have to join us at our finca.   A nice Spanish couple -- FOFOF's (friends of friends of friends) -- described how, every fall, they spend weekends on their 4,000 hectares of land with a distant view of Madrid, enjoying the countryside while the autumn leaves change color.  At the time, I didn't speak hectare and didn't know whether it was half an acre or a cajillion acres. Later, I whip out my iphone iconvert application and find that 4,000 hectares actually equals 9,884.215 acres!!!  Now THAT is a finca, amigos!

The next morning we discuss our potential invitation with the kids, imagining hunting in the rugged plains surrounding Madrid.  They agree it sounds exotic.  We ladies wonder what we'll wear and decide on an imaginary tweed ensemble with custom leather riding boots.  But, as a person who once took up golf to justify buying a fetching pair of navy Ralph Lauren golf shoes, only to experience the agony of hacking a ball around a course for four plus hours while wearing them, I decide to dig deeper into my finca fantasy.  Will we walk to the hunt or ride vast distances on horseback? Will we dine at an antique oak table that seats 50 and enjoy trays of food delivered by Chicas?  Or, will we recline in the open air, fireside, with an exceptional Ribera del Duero and the finest pata negra, wrapped in monogrammed cashmere blankets while our wild boar crackles on the spit?

Maybe it'll look like this.

We're deeply excited, merry even!  While we're salivating and making little clapping sounds and practically packing, someone (and by someone, I mean one of our children) decides to put a damper on things. Here's the conversation:

"Does this mean we'll have to shoot an animal?"

"Man up!" another one says, "this is a weekend at a finca, bro!"

"Tio (Spanish for "Dude"), the three of us watched Bambi together."

The B word brings silence to the table as we try to forget the orphaned baby deer.  Slowly, we realize that although we love our fantasy finca, and as much as we think we like guns, we like animals even more.  There's no way we can shoot one and watch it die.  We're still gonna play paintball, eat meat, wear leather shoes, and one of us may even wear fur (but only when it's really cold or when we attend a dressy occasion -- sorry Alison), but we can't harm the animals.

I'm mentally unpacking when, luckily, someone has another great idea.

"What if we shoot our guns into the air and miss everything?"  And with that it's settled. We will, if ever invited, simply pretend to shoot things and miss, perhaps even scaring the animals away from the hunt, while we stay warm in our tweeds and leathers in the European countryside and let rip our cries of Bwaahaahaahaa!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I for one am still waiting for the phone call and if pushed will shoot at the animal. I can say that as I think we will never see the invite. Oh well it sure sounds cool the way Delora describes it.

Perkins Fan said...

"Man up! This is a weekend at a finca, bro!" - Let me guess....Clark? :) Enjoying every bit of the blog, Delora!!!

Nathalie said...

That sounds like a very California finca fantasy :)

R said...

Deb, I have made a big lurking on your site for quite a while. I am also reading several other blogs of either expats and/or around the world travelers. I always save yours for last because your writing is exquisite. It makes me laugh, it makes me wonder, it makes me see what you see and has me there with you whether laughing or crying.
R

Anonymous said...

good morning fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for that singular make. The prices as regards the boots are all over 230 dollars on every page. But definitively I bring about this locate selling them for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hello friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking as far as something that singular brand. The prices seeking the velcros are around 300 bucks on every page. But for all I bring about this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that singular make. The prices as regards the shoes are approximately 230 dollars on every site. But completely I base this location selling them for half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching as far as something that particular make. The prices as regards the boots were about 230 dollars on every site. But for all I base this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good evening dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that exact model. The prices for the sneakers were approximately 350 pounds on every site. But finally I base this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what can you say about it?